Thursday, May 1, 2014

Penny Wise, Pound Foolish

Whenever I open my dishwasher door, it immediately drops to about 1/2 inch above the floor, narrowly missing my toe.  The top rack wants to fly out and meet the door on it's way to the floor, but I usually manage to catch it before it falls.  I have the money to buy a new dishwasher.  My spendthrift self is telling me to buy a new one before the door breaks someone's foot, but I'm not going to.  Not yet.

I want a new dishwasher, but I'm going to try and fix this one first.  It still washes the dishes and dries them pretty well.  It's not leaking as far as I can tell, so I'm going to fix it MYSELF. This will be something new for me since I don't consider myself to be very handy, but I think my time has come. So far I've gone online and found the rollers and the stopper clips needed to keep the top rack from flying out. I purchased them online for a total of $16.  I have a pretty good idea how to install these parts, but if not, I'll go on YouTube and find a DIY video.  I don't know how to stop the door from hitting the floor yet, but I plan to find out.

Am I being penny wise, but pounds foolish? I hope not, but it's worth a try as long as I continue to watch for leaks and the dishwasher doesn't start breaking my dishes or my foot.  Have you become a do-it-yourselfer --these days?  If so, share your story with us by leaving a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment