Friday, May 9, 2014

My Doggie is Sick

I should say that he is my kids' dog, but after about two weeks the excitement of taking care of a new pet wore off for the boys, and the dog became mine.  He always knew this would happen even if I didn't.  From the beginning he followed me around wherever I went, even to the bathroom.  Yes, since the door doesn't close completely shut, he could push his way in whenever he wanted..  He would sit at my feet until I' was done and then walk me out as if I couldn't be trusted to make it out on my own.   I have to admit that he has worn me down.  After all, he's the only one in the house who doesn't argue with me.  I'll say, "Get off the couch, Rover (not his real name), and he doesn't ask why his brother can't do it.  I say "Come eat dinner, Rover," and he comes running.  I don't have to call him three or four times.  And, he gobbles up the same kibble day after day and never complains.  At my house, the dog is my best friend.

So, it is truly upsetting that Rover is sick, and even more upsetting that the vet can't tell me exactly what's wrong with Rover without giving him a $150 blood test .  I don't want to be cold hearted, but I can't afford a blood test right now.  I could barely pay for the exam, antibiotics, stomach coating medicine and flea repellent pill that I shelled out $110 for at the end of this vet visit for a hurting paw.

It's times like these that make me wish that I had paid for the pet insurance that is always advertised on the tables in the waiting rooms of the vet's office.  I thought that they were too expensive, but there is coverage available for as little as $7 a month.  Another example of penny wise and pound foolish.

Update:  So far Rover's bill has come to about $400 and counting.  He did have to have the blood test done.  The results are still pending.

No comments:

Post a Comment