Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Saved Money Today the Old Fashioned Way

Today I walked to the post office in order to mail a letter.  Yes, I used snail mail! That was not such a money saver because the stamp cost 48¢ (sending e-mail costs nothing out of pocket) but it was old fashioned.  My savings came about by my taking a 15 minute walk that would normally take me five minutes to drive.  I was so proud of myself for getting the much needed exercise and for saving the gas that the five minute trip would have used, not to mention the wear and tear on my car.  Also, I was doing my bit for the environment.

I feel so good about my little walk that I'm going to make it my goal to walk whenever a car trip will take five minutes or less.  According to the article, Save Gas: The Financial and Health Benefits of Walking or Biking to Work, a person can save up to $60 and burn up to 44,200 calories a year by replacing those short drives with walking trips. I can do quite a bit with an extra $60.  I'll be making myself a little healthier as well!

If you're walking to save money, please leave a comment below and let us know how it's going.

No comments:

Post a Comment